Wednesday, July 3, 2013

RIP Joytika Singh

a blog has been long over due....

But it pains me a lot to write this one. However, it needs to be documented.

JOYTIKA SINGH - 

I met Joy during the premier launch of Suraji (movie) and she was smiling away - I really liked the role she played in the movie and she did an excellent job at it (thumbs up Lewa).
I later met her during the One Billion Rising project and... danced with us on the streets of Suva. Protesting and making a stand on removing all forms of violence against women and girls. I met her during our rehearsals for the Vagina Monologues and she was so eager to join the cause.
I did not get the opportunity to know her very well but the few times we did meet she was smiling away and something smart [what more can we expect from an academic] ...

In my books Joy was destined for greater things. She was a rising star and a shining one too. Everyone says she had very pretty eyes. I think she had mysterious eyes...

Taken away from us at the end of June (2013).... Her death is not something we want to be reminded about but it is one we need to learn from. Our dear friend Joy, was the victim of a very brutal murder :,-(

Today (4th of July) I attended a Peace Vigil held for Joy. It was here I learnt about the violence she lived through in her marriage. She was undergoing mental and emotional abuse.
Today I feel helpless. Helpless because I could not do anything for Joy.
helpless because I did not even know this was happening to someone I knew and someone who made me smile.

May your soul rest in Peace beloved Joy!! and we will continue to fight this fight to ensure safer spaces for women everywhere... We love you!!



We have so many friends out there. some we know from our childhoods. others we know from work, social media, networks etc. It is very important to spare a few minutes and ask our friends "How are you?" because one day you will wake up and that friend is no longer there!!!
It is especially important for us to talk about the abuse we are going through. being the abuser or the abused. it is equally important to receive professional help and ensure we do the right thing.

The fight for safer spaces will carry on. Today a fighter is no longer with us :-(
But in our works we will always remember you!!!

You were a true JOY :-) Rest in peace and watch over us!!




2 comments:

  1. thank you for this post, of course I truly share your sentiment for this brave woman for whom she has been spent her entire life advocating for women's right....she will always remain in our hearts....RIP Joytika Sigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome. We keep her in our prayers always.

    ReplyDelete