Tuesday, August 7, 2012

PGD DONE!!

Finally completed post Graduate Diploma in Psychology!!

Oh what an achievement!! 2011 began with me leaving my job in an advertising firm to pursue my Post Graduate Diploma in Psychology.
In the first semester I took only one Unit because I was returning to school after 3 years of being in the workforce (a slight panic attack there). . .

During the semester I did a job which was semi-related to my field but I also got to be part of the 17th Know India Program (more on KIP here)  and I spent 3 weeks away from home exploring and learning more about India. My personal 17th K.I.P experience can be read here ... At the end of semester I was amazed to have received an A+ for this unit (Advanced Human development). And did my own personal development advance (that a blog for another time) ...

In the second semester I took up a Volunteer position with Fiji Media Watch as a Media Monitoring Volunteer. I also took up PS402 - Advanced Cross Cultural Psychology; and PS406 - Abnormal Psychology (here we learnt more about DSM) and this unit felt like I was sitting in a medical class (from time to time). Later on in the semester I received the opporutnity to be part of a research project with SEEP. This research project was basically going out into the communities and conducting Focus Group Discussions with indo-Fijian groups, transcribing their interviews and giving in the reports. AMAZING experience!! At the end of the Semester I had been multitasking 2 units and 2 jobs. (WOW) and I managed to get a B+ in PS402 and an A+ in PS406 =) [YAY me]

2012 . . . Semester 1: the unit I dreaded the most! DG400| Advanced research Methodologies (if only I could insert dramatic music playing in here)... I had only heard negative things about the way this Unit was set out... A little sigh of comfort came about when I was told the unit will be taught by a new lecturer (he is very capable and has done numerous research in Fiji_which was good as he brought to the table some very interesting issues). The semester was okie_ I was given the topic Tourism Impacts to compile my 60% research paper on (FAINTS) but I managed to do so... When it was time for results to come out - I could have collpased when someone said 60% of our class had failed (mind you there were only 62 or so students in the class) So you can imagine my surprise when I saw i passed with a B+  :-)
2 B+'s and 2 A+'s sits me on a Grade Point Average of 4!! Which means and A and I am more than Happy with this achievement =D =D


Now to look forward to the Graduation!!!

until next blog . . .
Elisha!!

No comments:

Post a Comment